In the second of a series of articles highlighting the natural beauty and wildlife viewing opportunities within the United States, why not consider taking the family on an ecotourism getaway through New York. Whether it is a long weekend break or enjoying the fall colors, it may be about time to get into the “New York State of Mind” with this suggested eco-itinerary.
Depending on your proximity to New York City, you could travel by Amtrak “Empire Service” train or rent a hybrid car from Budget, Enterprise, or Hertz.
Suggested family ecotourism activities:
- The High Tor Wildlife Management Area near Naples, New York consists of approximately 6,100 acres of natural habitat. Besides the wood duck, one can easily spot a mallard, black duck, bluewing or greenwing teal and the hooded merganser. The diversified environment allows for fishing, boating, hiking, cross-country skiing, bird watching, nature study and picnicking.
- The Lake Placid Area offers numerous outdoor activities whether it is hiking, snow shoeing, fishing, boating, rock climbing, downhill and cross country skiing, ice skating on the Olympic oval, boat rentals, bobsledding, swimming, or tobogganing on Mirror Lake. The Adirondack forest is home to over 70 species of trees and nearly 60 species of mammals. Birdwatchers also will delight in the region, as over 200 species of birds have been spotted.
- The Saratoga Springs area established a two-mile Bog Meadow Nature Trail and boardwalk system so that visitors could see a variety of animals roaming the wetland area year-round as well as flora and fauna. The wetland includes an open marsh, wet meadow, and forested wetland. In the winter, visitors can explore the area on snowshoes or cross-country skis.
- Sky Lodge near Naples, New York is a vacation house property that boasts over one mile of hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoe trails on its own private 34 acres. The property was rebuilt using reclaimed and locally milled lumber; uses pesticide-free property management practices and is Energy Star Rated with soy-based insulation and eco-friendly windows. The lodge is close to the Cummings Nature Center as well as boating and fishing at the Canandaigua Lake State Marine Park.
- The Haus on Mirror Lake near Lake Placid, New York offers 9 modern suites, 6 of which face Mirror Lake. The self-service apartments were built with sustainability and energy efficiency in mind. If you arrive in a hybrid car, you can get a 5% discount (must mention at time of booking). Alternatively, the Haus is a taxi-ride away from the Amtrak station and each visitor can use the free Lake Placid Trolley to get around the area.
- Saratoga Farms Bed & Breakfast near Saratoga Springs, New York is a restored farmhouse located on 10 acres and has been recognized by Audubon International and the State of New York as a Green Hospitality Property. The B&B is near the Saratoga National Historical Park and the Saratoga Farmers Market is open year-round. All breakfast ingredients are either grown on the farm or are locally sourced.
Check out our other eco-certified trips through North America!