Planning Your Ecotourism Vacation
That's a tough one! It all depends on what you and the members of your travel party are interested in doing while you are on vacation. You could consider searching our Green Vacation Collection by Activities such as biking, birding, hiking, yachting, photography, and yoga to name a few. There's bound to be a vacation that fits you like a glove.
There are three different green approaches to help narrow your choices to the perfect ecotour for you: eco-luxurious, eco-ventional and eco-nomical.
- Eco-luxurious - on these trips, you will not have to give up the spirit of adventure to enjoy a little more comfort. Depending on your itinerary, you will get around via upgraded transportation-using private vehicles, comfortable trains, and convenient flights. As a result, you will spend more time exploring. While this service level offers a greater number of inclusions, it still offers the flexibility to do your own thing. Expect accommodations handpicked for their great locations, upgraded amenities, facilities and service. This approach is ideal for travelers looking for a great value and a softer landing.
- Eco-ventional - these trips feature more comfortable tourist class hotels and guesthouses that reflect your destination's character. Of course, you will retain local color with some travel by public transportation, but sometimes you will enjoy the convenience of private vehicles. This approach is ideal for travelers looking for an authentic experience with a little more comfort.
- Eco-nomical - these trips offer excellent value for those who prefer flexibility along with the security and convenience of small group travel. The accommodations are basic, but clean and well kept. When it comes to getting around, public transport is often the best and most colorful way to go. Alternatively, travel is by private van or small coach. This approach is ideal for travelers looking to combine the convenience of small group travel at a competitive price.
Little Greenies ecotours are specifically geared for families with young children aged 6 years old and older. These ecotours have just as many activities for kids as for parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles which can make it an ideal multi-generation family trip. Please note all children under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult traveler who is responsible for the child's day to day care.
You have the option to select a specific theme to further narrow your choices. For example Eco Culinary refers to those travelers who would like to spend their time learning more about the different delicacies, spices and beverages of the region.
We recognize that everyone has different vacation schedules. With that, most of our tours can accommodate your specific dates. When making a reservation inquiry, please let us know the particular dates you are interested in traveling.
An ecotour package includes all accommodations, local transportation, eco-activities and meals unless it is otherwise specified. Specific information about excluded meals, optional eco-activities and other useful facts can be found within the Details tab for each ecotour.
If you have specific countries or regions in mind and want to travel sustainably, feel free to Contact Us and we'll design a customized ecotourism itinerary that will incorporate the eco-travel tips suggested on this site and / or an ecotour that may be just right for you. Even if Greenloons does not represent all accommodations or eco-activities, we'll provide you with the information that will make your vacation unique, memorable and environmentally friendly. Please note that if your customized itinerary does not include an ecotour, a small fee will be assessed.
Please refer to the informational tabs available with each ecotour as a lot of details are provided there. Also, you are welcome to Contact Us via our toll free number 877 570-7373 or via email with the Start Your Journey form. Your question will be answered in a timely manner.
Reserving Your Ecotourism Vacation
You are booking with the local partner. Greenloons provides the platform and provides marketing support to the local partners. We only work with vetted ecotour operators. In most cases, we can handle the entire booking transaction. However, in some cases, we are not.
Each ecotour operator will have slightly different terms and conditions although general conditions will be similar to what is listed below. Greenloons recommends that you review the specific terms and conditions for your ecotour.
- Ecotours prices exclude airfare (unless otherwise indicated).
- A surcharge may be added for participants traveling alone.
- Deposits are non-refundable (though in some cases they are transferable).
- Balance owed on a reservation must be paid 60 – 90 days prior to departure (check with ecotour operator).
- If you book within 60 days of the departure date, then the full amount of the tour is payable at the time of booking.
- If the balance is not paid on or before the due date, the ecotour operator reserves the right to treat the booking as cancelled.
- Medical forms may also be required by the ecotour operator.
- Client details and copy of passport details (passport number, full name, nationality, date and place of birth, date and place of issue, and date of expiration) will be required for tour confirmation.
- The customer must be in possession of a valid passport required for entry, departure and travel through each destination point along the itinerary of the tour, (your passport must be valid 6 months after your return date), and be in possession all visas, permits and certificates including vaccination certificates, insurance policies, required for the whole of the journey.
- It is strongly recommended that all customers obtain travel insurance that covers personal injury, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, and evacuation expenses as well as cancellation, curtailment, and loss of belongings.
- Any cancellation by the customer must be made in writing and acknowledged by the ecotour operator. The date on which the letter is received by the ecotour operator will determine the cancellation charge applicable:
- Cancellation more than 60 days before departure: loss of deposit
- Cancellation 59-30 days before departure: 50% of tour price or loss of deposit, whichever is the greater
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure: 100% of tour price
- The ecotour company reserves the right to cancel or change a tour for any reason, but will not cancel a tour less than 60 days before departure except for force majeure, unusual or unforeseen circumstances outside the ecotour operator's control. When a tour is cancelled by the ecotour operator, the customer may choose between a full refund of all monies paid or any alternative tour offered.
- There are no discounts or refunds for missed or unused services including customer cancellation, sickness, death of a family member, etc.
- The ecotour operator may impose surcharges. If any surcharge results in an increase of more than 10% of the tour cost excluding insurance premiums, the customer may cancel the booking within 14 days of notification of the surcharge and obtain a full refund.
- The customer appreciates and acknowledges that the nature of this type of travel requires considerable flexibility and should allow for alternatives.
- The customer acknowledges that the nature of the tour is adventurous and may involve a significant amount of personal risk.
- At all times the decision of the tour leader or representative will be final on all matters likely to endanger the safety and well being of the tour.
- The ecotour operator shall not be liable for any damage or loss if the failure to carry out the contract is:
- Attributable to the customer.
- Attributable to a third party unconnected with the provision of the services contracted for and the event is unforeseeable or unavoidable.
- Due to unforeseen and unusual circumstances beyond the company's control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had to be exercised.
- Due to political disputes, border closures, refusal of visas, industrial action, climate or other matters of a similar nature and any other force majeure.
- Due to an event which the tour operator even with all due care could not foresee or forestall.
Sharing Your Ecotourism Experiences
On the top right of the Community section, click on Share Your Experience, which will bring up a form so that you can submit a story, travel tip, or photo. Please fill out the information and click the Submit button. Thanks in advance for contributing to the Greenloons Community.
Ecotourism in action, which can be found within the Community section of the site, are collections of eco travel tips for an entire country or region. Please share your ideas and comments for how travelers can best experience the flora and fauna of a particular area.
All Community forums will be monitored in accordance with the following general rules:
- While debate and discussion are fine, Greenloons will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, offensive or personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
- Greenloons reserves the right to remove offensive posts without notice. Our decision is final in these matters.
- Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts.
- Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum, blog comments, and picture comments for advertising or notices for contests.
- We also do not allow posts or links to sites that are of an inappropriate nature for the Community.
- You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
- Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disruptive or abused in any way.
- We will periodically review these general rules and make modifications on an as-needed basis.
Within each tour, click the Review tab for a specific ecotour and please provide a title, rating and a review of your experience. After the review is submitted, it will be checked for offensive language and posted just as you wrote it. Thanks in advance for helping the Greenloons Community.
Staying Connected With Greenloons
Please refer to the Contact Us tab to submit your question or perhaps make a suggestion on how we can make Greenloons better! We will answer you by the next business day at the latest.
It’s a great way to keep up with ecotour specials as well as the latest in eco destinations, contest giveaways and other news.
Please refer to the Contact Us link above the Navigation Bar. Thanks in advance for letting us know.