Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Ecotourism Blog!
Welcome to the Greenloons Blog, your go-to ecotourism / sustainable / responsible (or whatever term you feel comfortable with) travel resource. Here, you will find eco travel destination profiles, environmentally friendly travel tips, ecotourism certification information, eco trip reviews and much more! Read, share and let us know your thoughts about ecotourism!
Criteria that makes a hotel an eco-hotel?
How can one tell the difference between a true green or eco-hotel and a hotel that employs greenwashing practices? The good news is that there are some reputable green hotel certification programs, including the Green Key Eco-Rating, EarthCheck, and LEED® Building programs, which allow for an occasional inspection of a hotel's sustainable operations in over 20 different areas.
The unpleasant news is that presently some of these certification programs are self-administered assessments with intermittent on-site inspections. Nevertheless, the tourism industry and hoteliers in particular are beginning to recognize the business value in investing in defined resource conservation business practices with respect to energy and water use, waste disposal, and environmental protection.
Finca Rosa Blanca, a Sustainable Hotel in Costa Rica
Typically, a proposed eco-hotel or green hotel is evaluated based on the following criteria:
- stemming of allergens
- use of alternative or renewable energy sources
- conservation of energy
- maintenance of appliances
- application of newspaper programs
- management of composting programs
- provision of bulk soap items and amenities
- supply of organic cotton towels and sheets
- employment of guest towel and sheet re-use programs
- donation of furniture or other over-used property materials to charity
- use of non-disposable and durable service items
- offer of organically-grown, locally harvested food
- education of guests about the hotel's green practices and green membership programs
- education of hotel staff about the importance of green business practices
- use of gentle cleaning and laundry supplies
- supplying of fresh air to guests
- use of gray water recycling programs
- provision of guestroom recycling bins
- employment of non-smoking policies
- provision of alternative guest transportation programs
- use of xeric gardening methods
To search for an eco-hotel for your next green travel vacation, check out the following directory listings:
- Environmentally Friendly Hotels
- It's a Green Green World
- "Green" Hotels Association
- Travelocity Green Hotel Directory