Nicaragua Family Tour
Nicaragua, 11 Days From $ 2,675 per person Themes
Eco Wildlife & Nature
Treat your family to an incredible and unforgettable adventure into a land full of enriching activities, child-friendly hotels and exciting places to choose from. You and your kids will encounter plenty of real life experiences along the way – anything from zip-lining through a tropical cloud forest, visiting local schools or learning to surf on the Pacific beach. Our guides enrich your understanding of local history, wildlife, volcanoes, culture, and engage both children and adults encouraging them during the activities, to get a taste of real life.
- Turtle egg laying and release
- Surf lessons
- Chocolate classes
- Zip-Line Canopy Tour
- School visit, taking part in activities with local children
- Beach time
- Family friendly hotels
Flexible date(s). Please Contact Us.
History & Culture
Why Authentic Ecotourism?
The main objective of the tour company is to offer fascinating and unforgettable experiences to its visitors, with minimal environmental impact, and in turn developing the social and cultural context of all involved.
They are committed to:
- Faithfully comply with the principles of sustainable development, to be implemented based on the labor, environmental, business and safety regulations and laws of our country, the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism and all legal regulations of those countries where we have an impact.
- Integrate and implement the various policies of the company (Sustainability, Environmental, Suppliers, Social and Human Resources) to achieve excellent human and business development.
- Declare themselves against the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of children and adolescents, therefore, we do not promote child labor. They do not employ minors.
- They are against discrimination of any kind, ensuring ethnic and gender equity in our employees.
- Work on minimizing negative impacts on the environment and natural resources, and on reducing waste and pollution of the natural resources we have.
- Development and implement in the long term a training program of good environmental practices, aimed at raising awareness with our employees, suppliers, service providers and customers in order to achieve behavioral changes.
- Contribute to the conservation and recovery of natural heritage as well as tangible and intangible cultural heritage through the active inclusion of these sites within its tourist offerings.
- Communicate and publicize our sustainability policy to the outside world through social media, news, newsletters, blogs and through the daily work of each of their colleagues.
- Be transparent, formal and professional in the management of the Rainforest Alliance and/or other Certification Programs and to continually update our procedures to meet the requirements.
Day 1: Managua Arrival
Private transfer to hotel in Managua. (Approx. 10 mins drive on highway)
Day 2: Managua – Nagarote – Reserve Juan Venado – Las Peñitas – León (B, D)
In the morning, you will make a short city tour of the most important places in Managua. Then drive to Nagarote to taste the famous “Quesillos”, just to share a little with the locals and our food. Then arrive in Leon and check into your hotel in the city to drive towards the Pacific Coast. At Natural Reserve Isla Juan Venado we will have an afternoon boat tour so you can enjoy spectacular nature and watch the many birds as well as maybe spot some crocodiles. In a charming local restaurant, we will taste local fresh seafood enjoying the pleasant view and air of the ocean. In the evening you will return to León. (Approx. 3 hour drive on highway)
Day 3: León – Cerro Negro – San Jacinto Hot Springs – León (B, D)
After breakfast, you will drive east towards the black volcano of Cerro Negro. During the last 9 years, its violent activity has left permanent marks on the region. In 1992, lava ash completely covered León, the second largest city in Nicaragua. The last eruption was in August 1999, when two new craters were formed. Hiking the lunar landscape of the volcano, descending its crater, and admiring the surrounding landscape are unforgettable and exciting experiences. After your return to Leon for a short siesta, we will drive first to San Jacinto and you will see the Hot Springs. Return to Leon. (Approx. 2 hour drive on highway and 2 hour drive on sand/dirt track)
Day 4: León City tour – Eco Lodge Los Cardones (B, L, D)
Today we will enjoy a city tour of León. You will climb up to the cathedral roof and enjoy spectacular views of colorful León and its volcanoes as well as visit the entertaining Museum of Legends and Traditions. Then you will leave León and arrival at Los Cardones. The accommodation’s bungalows are spread along the coast and have their own private terrace with lounge chairs and hammocks under a thatched palm roof. Each bungalow has its own private bathroom with shower and sink; compost toilets are a short walk away. Please note that the bungalows do not have electricity. Enjoy the beach and a swim in the ocean. (Approx. 1 hour drive on highway and ½ hour drive on sand/dirt track)
Day 5: Playa Los Cardones (B, L, D)
After breakfast, we will visit the turtle hatchery and might observe baby born. In fact, the Pacific coast of Nicaragua is a privilege destination to receive massive “Olive Ridley Turtle” arrivals. The afternoon is free to enjoy the beach and take some surfing lessons.
Note: School visits are available during the school’s Period (From February to October) Except during weekends and holidays.
Day 6: Los Cardones – Rivas – San Jorge – Moyogalpa – Charco Verde Reserve – Playa Santo Domingo (B, L, D)
Wake up and breakfast one last time listening to the sounds of the ocean. Then, we will drive to Rivas, where we will have our lunch. It’s then only a short distance to San Jorge, where we will take the ferry to the island of Ometepe. After approximately one hour and 30 minutes we will arrive in Moyogalpa, the principal town of the Island. Then we will enjoy a walking tour around the Charco Verde Nature Reserve, where we get to see different species of birds and with some luck some monkeys! From there you will drive to Playa Santo Domingo where you will take your rooms. (Approx. 3 hour drive on highway with some curves, 1 hour ferry crossing, 1 hour drive on highway and 15 mins drive on sand/dirt track)
Day 7: Playa Santo Domingo – Altagracia – Ojo de Agua – El Porvenir – Playa Santo Domingo (B, L, D)
After breakfast we will drive to Altagracia town and we will visit the museum and learn about the rich Pre-Columbian past of the island, major encounter place by the Indian tribes. Then visit of Ojo de Agua Reserve, a beautiful swimming hole. Here the is time to refresh yourself in the clear waters. Before it gets dark and we will be back at our hotel, we will visit El Porvenir to appreciate the petroglyph at the same time the garden in the Finca. After this visit return to the hotel. (Approx. 2 hour drive on highway, 1 hour drive on dirt track)
Day 8: Playa Santo Domingo – Moyogalpa – San Jorge – Mombacho Volcano – Canopy – Granada (B, BL, D)
Today you will get up early to catch the ferry from Moyogalpa to San Jorge. From here we will drive to Mombacho Volcano. At the entrance, you will take an ecomovil to the top and together with your guide, you will discover the secrets of the cloud forest. If you are lucky, you might have some great views of Granada and Las Isletas. Afterwards, enjoy a canopy tour and glide through the forest. We are sure your adrenaline level will be high. After this exciting adventure, you will drive to Puerto Asese and the short boat ride to your hotel on a small island in Lake Nicaragua. (Approx. 3 hour drive on highway, 2 hour drive on unmade road in a truck with some curves and steep incline, 1 hour ferry ride & 15 mins boat ride)
Day 9: Granada – Walking tour and horse carriage – Chocolate workshop – Masaya open air Market – National Park Volcano Masaya – Granada (B, BL, D)
We will start the morning with a city tour of Granada, visiting some of its many colonial buildings and learning more about Granada’s exciting history. Included is a ride in a typical horse carriage. Before driving to Masaya you will participate in a chocolate workshop where you will learn all the steps from the harvest of the cacao in a plantation to the obtention of a chocolate bar. From the cacao beans you will roast them, peel them, and grind them into a paste to finally prepare some and even take it with you at the end of the workshop!. After lunch we will visit the popular Masaya market where you can buy many typical souvenirs from Nicaragua. After the hustle and bustle of the market, you are probably looking forward to some peace and quiet. You will find this at impressive Masaya Volcano. Peek over the edge and admire the depth of this impressive crater which is constantly producing smoke, sulfur gases and the lake of Lava inside of the crater. In the night return to Granada. (Approx. 2 hour drive on highway & 20 mins boat ride)
Day 10 : Kayaking Las Isletas – Chocoyero Natural Reserve – Managua (B, L)
After breakfast, you will start by kayak visiting beautiful Las Isletas with its many birds and tranquil atmosphere. We will enjoy lunch at the hotel. In the afternoon, we will drive to Chocoyero-El Brujo Natural Reserve and enjoy to visit its dry tropical forest where we will be able to see monkeys and several species of birds above all “green parakeets”. Then, we continue to Managua. (Approx. 3 hour drive on highway, 20 mins on dirt track, 10 mins boat ride)
Day 11: Managua (B)
Flight back home Shuttle from the hotel to the airport to catch in time your flight back to your country. (Approx.10 mins drive on highway)
Included activities: - Chocolate workshop in a chocolate store and tasting of regional products - Boat Tour on mangrove area and animal watching - Climbing an active volcano - Visit of colonial towns, traditions and legends museums - Walk around boiling mud pits - School visit and share with local kids - Swim in the waves of the Pacific - Surfing lesson - Swim in a fresh water lake - Boat ride on Lake Nicaragua - Walk into a cloud forest - Canopy tour, taking the path of the monkeys - Horse carriage tour (in Granada) - Shopping in a local market - Observation of an active volcano with the Lava - Parrots watch at Natural Reserve - Kayaking between little tropical islands - Lunch on a private island
Optional activities: - More Surf lesson on the pacific coast - Horseback Riding on Ometepe Island
- Tourist Card entering Nicaragua ( US$10.00 / Pers. )
- Entrance fees to further monuments, National Park, Reserve, museums, etc. (except if not mentioned)
- Further meals and beverages
- Airport departure tax leaving Nicaragua ( at this time US$47.00 / Pers. if not already included in the airfare )
- Voluntary tips
- All private ground transportations as mentioned in the itinerary description in comfortable vehicle and professional driver (a/c is not guaranteed in Ometepe )
- All private water transportation as mentioned in the itinerary (excursion in Las Peñitas, kayak in Las Isletas )
- Ferry transportation to/from Ometepe Island
- Hotel accommodation as described or similar including local taxes
- Activities as mentioned on the tour program, including respective entrance fees -
- English speaking Tour Guide from day 1 to day 10
- Meal plan as mentioned
Single Supplement Fee
$625 single supplement
Not as good for:
Other Necessary Information
Child Conditions: Ecolodge experience is recommended for adults and children 12 years and up; nonetheless, they welcome children 8 years old and up at the lodge from March 15th- April 15th and from July 1st - August 20th. No children below 12 are allowed at the lodge outside of these specified dates. Children aged between 6 and 11 years old receive a 20% discount on the above rates. Double room: at least one adult per room Triple room: at least one adult per room Quadruple: at least two adults per room