Secrets of Madagascar
Madagascar, 12 Days From $ 1,699 per person Themes
Visit Andasibe National Park, known for its rare orchids and its Indri indri, the Pangalanes channel, a chain of fresh water lakes and lagoons that parallel all the way to the coast of the Indian Ocean, the Palmarium private reserve, which is home to a dozen species of lemurs and several species of endemic fauna, surf the waves of Mahambo, and the tropical garden of Sainte Marie Island, which is famous for its beautiful beaches and humpback whale watching (from July to September).
Flexible date(s). Please Contact Us.
Why Authentic Ecotourism?
The tour company holds two certifications, Fair Trade Tourism and Travelife, due to the care it takes to provide alternative tourism that positively impacts local communities. The company operates various eco lodges throughout Madagascar as well as supports the CALA N.G.O. CALA aims for social and professional reintegration of former leprosy patients.
Most patients are physically handicapped and almost all are moms and dads of several children. The villages are in constant need of support, and this tour company specifically helps:
- Jules village, which is located 7km south of Antalaha. There are one hundred villagers here and CALA built the Green School. The construction of the Green School is one of the main goals for CALA's rehabilitation of villagers. It is the answer to many challenges, including providing a useful business perspective for youngsters through the school system, an answer to deforestation is the major challenge of the Big Island, an opportunity to teach a population the environmental and essential notions of responsible development, and a chance to develop alternative crops techniques that ensure food self-sufficiency of the villagers. The Green School opened its doors in the fall of 2008 by hosting 25 teenagers, and has grown since,
- Belfort village, which is located 6km north of Antalaha, on the road to Sambava. There are hundreds of villagers and CALA has introduced arts and culture to 200 students there, and
- Ma Colline, where C.A.L.A. and Ma Colline has taken it upon themselves to contribute to community-wide tree planting on the public beaches of Antalaha as well as in the villages and in nurseries. Reforestation is, after access to clean water, vital for environmental and community health. Planting trees looks ahead to the future and improves quality of life.
Day 1: Arrival in Tana ( D )
According to your international schedule flight, welcome and transfer to RESIDENCE LAPASOA. The rest of the day will be free.
Day 2 : Antananarivo – Andasibe ( B,L,D )
Drive to Andasibe ( 144 Km/3h ), with stop in Marozevo for a short visit of the private reserve "Pereyras". Once in Andasibe, you will check into FEON'NY ALA HOTEL.
Day 3 : Andasibe National Park ( B,L,D )
Full day dedicated to visit the national park of of Andasibe. Andasibe National Park, also known as Parc National d'Andasibe-Mantadia, boasts 12,810 hecacres of lushness and encompasses two distinct areas: the small Réserve Spéciale Analamazaotra (often referred to as Périnet ), and the much larger Parc National de Mantadia.
This park is known for its rare orchids that bloom in the forest, it's Indri indri that can be observed all year round, its beautiful waterfalls and the famous cultural rituals of the inhabitants of the surrounding area.
Day 4 : Andasibe – Akanin'ny Nofy ( B,L,D )
Drive to Manambato ( 113 Km / 3 h ), on the Pangalanes channel, for a 45mn scenic boat cruise to Akanin'ny Nofy. The Pangalanes is a chain of fresh water lakes and lagoons parallel to the coast of the Indian Ocean, separated by a narrow stretch of land.
Lodging will be at BUSHHOUSE, located at Lake Ampitabe, the third largest lake of the Canal des Pangalanes.
Day 5 : Akanin'ny Nofy ( B,L,D )
Morning visit of the private reserve, Palmarium. It's home to a dozen species of free range lemurs and a nice private collection endemic fauna and flora. In the afternoon, you'll go on a boat expedition to visit a typical Betsimisaraka village with its school and nursery, visit the indian ocean shore, walk along crocodiles lakes to see carnivorous plants. Lodging that night will be at BUSHHOUSE.
Day 6 : Akanin'ny Nofy – Tamatave – Mahambo ( B,L,D )
After breakfast, we take a 3h1/2 boat ride along the Canal des Pangalanes till Tamatave. By your arrival, drive to Mahambo, located 90Km north of Tamatave ( 2h ). Mahambo is well shaded by coconut palms and moves to the rhythm of the comings and goings of the fishing village. Lodging tonight at LA PIROGUE
Day 7 : Mahambo ( B,L,D )
Full day spent in Mahambo to learn about surfing. 90 km north of Tamatave, this beautiful east coast village is home to some luxuriant vegetation, beautiful beaches, very easy going locals and some nice fun surf.
Day 8 : Mahambo – Soanierana Ivongo - Sainte Marie ( B,L,D )
Drive to Soanierana Ivongo ( 75 Km / 1h30 ), then boat transfer to Sainte Marie island ( 1h ). Meet and transfer to your hotel. This island off the Eastern coast of the "Great Island" is known also under the Malagasy name of "Nosy Boraha". It is peaceful and well established on the Indian Ocean coast of Madagascar in a corner of lagoon where quiet reigns.
Constituted of string of islands, Sainte Marie is surrounded by other islands more or less important. The island profiting from a rather well sprinkled climate is baptized as a tropical garden because of the presence of rainforests which cover it. In other words, it is covered with green vegetation all the year. These luxuriant forests are a perfect and ideal shelter for various species which are also encountered on the Great Island such as the orchids. Lodging night at LE LIBERTALIA HOTEL
Days 9 and Day 10 : Sainte Marie ( B,L,D )
Days at leisure in Sainte Marie, where several activities can be organized on spot : visit the island by quad bike, by boat or by 4WD to discover its culture and history,trekking, kayaking, diving, whale watching (from mid-July to mid-September). Lodging will be at LE LIBERTALIA HOTEL.
Day 11 : Sainte Marie – Tana ( B,L,D )
Morning at leisure in Sainte Marie. In the afternoon, fly back to Tana. Meet and transfer to your hotel. Lodging tonight at RESIDENCE LAPASOA.
Day 12 : Tana – Lazaina – International Flight ( B,L )
Drive to Lazaina, about 20Km from the capital Tana. This village is very representative of the Merina villages with its old houses of majestic architecture and its old Walls. We will walk through fields, visit the rolling hills and discover the local flora and fauna. We will spend time watching the women work in the rice fields.
We will discover villages and hamlets where we will be greeted warmly by inhabitants and children. Everywhere smiles, songs, colors and beautiful nature. We will continue with the visit of a "valiha" workshop, considered as the "national musical instrument" of Madagascar.
Then, according to your scheduled flight, you will be transferred to the airport for your flight back home.
- Pricing is with an English speaking driver/guide. If the group would prefer a separate English speaking tour guide throughout the duration of the tour, add $550 per person (pricing to be confirmed)
The domestic flight Sainte Marie/Tana. According to Air Madagascar rates valid at the moment (June, 2015) are:
- Low season ( Jan 11 to July 9 and Sept 12 to Dec 17) : 212 Euros
- High season ( July 10 to Sept 11) : 230 Euros
- Meals not mentioned
- Tips and personal expenses
- Accommodation at hotels as mentioned
- Meals as mentioned
- The transportation from Tana to Manambato via Andasibe, and from Tamatave to Soanierana Ivongo, driver indemnities and gasoline included
- The boat transfers Manambato/Akanin'ny Nofy/Tamatave and Soanierana Ivongo/Sainte Marie
- Entrance and guidance fees at parks and reserves to visit : Andasibe NP, Palmarium private reserve
- The training for surfing
- All transfers airport/hotel/airport
- The services of an English speaking tourguide during whole tour ( according to chosen option ).
Not as good for:
Other Necessary Information
A tourist visa is necessary for any foreigner of any nationality to enter and stay in Madagascar. You can obtain it either at the Malagasy Embassy / consulate in your country, or directly at the airport when you arrive. In both cases, you will need to present:
- Your return or continuing plane ticket
- A valid passport for six months at least, after the departure date from Madagascar.
- For 2015, a tourist visa is FREE for less than one month stay.
No vaccinations are requested by law to enter Madagascar. However we highly recommend people to come in with up to date vaccinations against:
- B hepatitis
- Typhoid fever
- Diphtheria / Tetanus / Polio
- * Anti-malaria treatment
*In spite of stronger risks on the coast than in the highlands, and during the rainy season more than during the dry season, Malaria is present all over the island all year round. As a consequence, an anti-malaria treatment must be taken before, during and after your stay in Madagascar.